Monday, December 10, 2007

For Those Who Aren't with Us Anymore

This could be another "look what I got" posts, but it's not, because a) I'm not really as material as I've been seeming on this thing lately and b) it's much much more than that. My awesome parents gave me a cool combo printer/photoprinter/scanner thingy for Hannukah yesterday, and my first task (besides printing out a form I need for insurance) was to scan some of my favorite pictures of my family members that aren't with us any more.

Here they are in the order that they've left.



Bernadine ("Babe") Harris aka Grandma, d. 10/23/99.

This picture was taken at my cousin's wedding about 2 weeks before my Grandma passed away. Grandma had been sick for about 15 years- she got sick when I was 4, and the wedding, also the last time I saw her, was the fall of my freshman year of college. Call me crazy (you wouldn't be the first one), but I really believe that Grandma held on to see her oldest granddaughter get married. Grandma was a fighter and never gave up- even if it meant getting out of her bedroom so she didn't have to stare that "damn crack in the ceiling" anymore. Grandma played by her own rules, for better or for worse- she was stubborn, creative, and inappropriate. And of course, a giant lover of chocolate. Thanks for passing all of that on, Grandma, I think of you daily, as I also, am all of those things.



Bert Briskin d. 7/16/04

I have always loved this picture. I believe it is from my sister's Bat Mitzvah in 1997. Bert and Jackie did not have a dog when I was a little little girl, but he always told me about his dogs- I especially remember stories about huskies. He was sure to send me all of the James Herriot books- books I treasure to this day. There was nothing like seeing him at the dog park, where I'd take him when he'd visit, or the smile on his face as he "rested his eyes" with Pepi. Bert was always watching sports- horse races, especially, and I hear he was quite a warrior on the golf course. Or something. He was of course, a baseball fan. He was an amateur photographer, and his photos are amazing- I have a few in my house now. Quietly, I think Bert affects most everything I do.



Kozi d. 9/11/06

Kozi was the beginning for me, or the beginning of the end, depending on who you talk to. She was about 14 when she died, so I think I was about 11 when she was added to the family. You can see her full story on her Dogster page. I loved this dog (except for the few weird months where I hated her- don't know where that came from) and I think it's safe to say that I would never have become the crazy dog lady that I am now without Kozi. I think it's also safe to say that I would never have become a pit bull advocate without her for two main reasons: Kozi came from an ethical breeder, so I learned early what that means. Second, Kozi loved every human she ever met, and that became the personality that I was/am drawn to. She was indifferent to dogs, but never knew she had teeth. Probably the most stable dog I've ever met, she is a standard I hold dogs to. Mac is her successor in my heart, but will never replace her (contrary to appearances).

2 comments:

World Best Kids said...

Those are such great pictures. I miss kozi!

wildtomato said...

*sniff*

These pictures, and the commentary, are so touching. I think I'm going to hug my animals now.