Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I Learned Some Things Today...

About angels and cemeteries. I am trying to have a hobby. It's very important to have hobbies to prevent burnout and compassion fatigue. On a side note, according to The New Yorker cartoonists, dogs can also suffer from burnout:

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming. According to the experts, it is very important for people who are at risk of compassion fatigue to have a hobby. A hobby that has nothing to do with the profession that may be causing burnout or compassion fatigue. Just a totally random, hypothetical example that I completely pulled out of nowhere, but let's just say someone works at an animal shelter. An appropriate hobby would be something that does not include animals. You know, like riding a bike or playing a musical instrument. Things that would probably not constitute a hobby that would help prevent burnout for a hypothetical animal shelter worker would be, oh, walking dogs, fostering dogs, taking pictures of shelter dogs to promote adoptions, etc. This is just an example of course.

So for approximately 4 years, I've been in a field prone to burnout and compassion fatigue. And I've been more or less hobbyless, especially since most or all of my hobbies revolve around my field of work (except baseball- I am not professionally involved in baseball in any way). So I'm trying to take more pictures. I have an awesome camera and I recently got Photoshop. If only I could learn to use these things up to their par, or even a bit of their potential, I would have a full blown, awesome hobby. Today I headed to a local cemetery to shoot pictures and potentially ease some stress. Along these lines, I learned things about angels.

Did you know that some angels have butts? I find this fascinating and quite endearing.


An angel with a tush is a much more approachable angel, I think. Angels also have emotions, at least in Oakland. I couldn't decide if this young lady was saying "Well, I never!" in shock, or swearing secrecy in a "Cross My Heart" mode:



I learned more things, too, but I'll let you discover them on your own: themacinator visits the cemetery and converses with the angels.

1 comments:

Sarah said...

Uh oh, I think I need a proper hobby too. I spend most of my free time hiking with dogs, finding remote areas to hike with a dog aggressive dog, taking pictures of dogs, updating my dog related blog, and browsing dogwise.com.

Very cool angels. I can't help but think that it would be really cute to pose a couple of dogs next to the angel with a butt :)