Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mac is Not a Dog.

Last night Mac failed his dog test. It was an impromptu test that neither of us knew was coming, but I don't think either of us were really surprised at the results.

We were walking along a path by the bay and there was a very large, very dead seagull. Mac saw it, approached it, sniffed it and recoiled about 2 feet in shock. He then crouched down in a "I'm not sure about this thing" dog pose- weight on the front feet, able to spring away if necessary (i.e.- not the crouch you see when Mac is hunting). He warily approached the bird again and when he got close literally sprang backwards about four or five feet and then beat a hasty retreat around me to get me between bird and water.

I have heard rumors, and seen evidence that dogs (not just normal dogs, but dogs in general) like to eat dead animals and roll in dead animals. Their owners have to be cautious about calling them away to avoid stinky dead dog smells.

Fortunately, I now know that Mac is not a dog, so I do not have to worry about this.

2 comments:

Satarupa said...

Hah! Poor little hunk! And he must be a nerd (albeit a hunky nerd!) too, if he does not mind a pop quiz on the fly!

jan said...

Be glad you have a hunky nerd and not a dog. My meticulous in every other way Poodles and dogs love rolling in dead animals. Totally disgusting.