Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Valentina Napolitano: Migration, Mujercitas, and Medicine Men

"Migration, Mujercitas, and Medicine Men" is one of those books that I don't think normal people read, unless they are a)in college or b)writing a thesis. I'm neither. I am not sure where I picked this book up, but I'm sure I chose it because it's about many things I'm interested in: Mexico, migration (mostly within Mexico), the Catholic Church and liberation theology, gender roles and their de/construction, etc. And I read it now because I'm still trying to get through all of my books, although I've given up on reading them in alphabetical order (can't believe I started that project in 2007!). Valentina Napolitano has written a dense, masterful enthography, just the kind of book I loved to read during my liberal arts days. I love serious nonfiction, but a review seems unnecessary on themacinator.com.

I will say, if you're studying poor neighborhoods in urban Mexico, or if you're interested in how the practice of holistic medicine is intertwined with CEB's, or curious about how quincieneras affect the liminality of young women in Mexican suburbs, it seems like this is the book to go to. It's a fascinating read, but not really... something normal people read. The other reason to read it is if you're a big fat dork like me who reads everything they can about Mexico and gender and especially things about Mexico AND gender. Wait till you see what I've got next...

0 comments: