Thursday, December 16, 2010

Dehumanizing Through Marketing

... it's still a problem.

I remember a younger version of me being so proud of boycotting Calvin Klein when Kate Moss was a teenage waif, naked and anorexic in his ads for perfume. Moss was 19 years old but looked 12, and looked like she hadn't eaten in a few months. I was an outraged young feminist, hot off readings of "The Beauty Myth" and "Backlash" and these ads were perfect examples of The Industry exploiting women, and "society" falling for it, hook line and sinker.

When I talk about these things now, people think I'm crazy. My peers- age and job-wise- think I'm nuts. They aren't the same peers of my early teens, and the second wave of feminism is even further in the past. We've fallen for it, and we've forgotten what it was we worried about swallowing. My last post, about my frustration with the Cosmo survey positing women's sex acts as deviance, was along the same lines: normalcy is dictated by the media, by ad-agencies, and constructed in an unachievable ways. Don't take my word for it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not familiar with the speaker, but she is compelling. DB