Tuesday, February 15, 2011

SAD, Shooting, and A Light at the End of the Tunnel

One winter ago I defined Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD. I explained why it's a very real phenomena: you just can't go out as much. People are stuck inside because the days are short, and baseball season is over. Daily activities are hindered which leads to more time in bed. Bed isn't a bad thing, obviously, but more time in bed and less time doing stuff leads to burnout/compassion fatigue, and yadda yadda, read the other post. Less shooting, etc. I'm particularly suffering from the less shooting part of this since my shooting partner/best friend went back to Australia (sidenote: it's summer there- where's the justice in that?).

But, there's light at the end of the tunnel. First of all, Opening Night for the A's is in 6 weeks, by my calculation, since it's April 1st. I'll be there. Spring Training has started. And my boyfriend, Joe Blanton, is very much back with the Phillies, which pleases me to no end, as I have hope for my backup team, as opposed to my same "maybe it's this year" feeling for the A's.

And, I may just have stumbled on a shooting project that will actually get me out and about. This dude shot with 52 cameras in 52 weeks. I have no interest in buying/shooting with 52 cameras (I've already got this little collection problem), but I do think it would be cool to shoot 52 cameras. His set is very cool. An awesome flickr contact of mine has a penchant for shooting film cameras (and the people that carry them) on the street. This could work. It would force me to get out again. The Year of the Bug project is awesome, but I don't have to leave the comfort of my own home. Must. Shoot. More. Whaddya think?

1 comments:

KayVee said...

I'm having the very same problem, SAD happens in summer too.

Please shoot and post more, pretty please! I'm living vicariously through you for my Bay Area fix.