Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Richard House: The Kills

Shop Indie Bookstores
Okay. I could NOT put this book(s) down. We've established that I don't read a lot of fiction, but I went through some "best of" lists lately and put some books down on my shrinking "to read" list that I keep on my phone in case I happen to stumble into the library or a bookstore. Some were fiction. I never remember where these books come from, and some of them are terrible. The Kills was not terrible. It was not amazing, either, but I couldn't put it down, and it was 1000 pages, so that is saying something. Half the time I had no idea what was happening, but I think that is what happens in a complicated suspense-mystery-type thing- you just wait till it all makes sense.

This book is actually four books (Sutler, The Massive, The Kill and The Hit) combined into one book. I'm not sure if they were written and published separately and then combined into one giant volume, and I don't really care- I'd probably recommend you read them as The Kills. I didn't get sort of weary of Richard House's writing till 900 pages in, and that's saying something. I also probably wouldn't read them as stand-alones, either, because they didn't really make sense by themselves, or at least, they didn't have resolution. And, honestly, I might be tempted to read them again, something I never do, to figure out the story better.


There are actually two stories: the story of gruesome murders in Italy and the story of fraud in Amrah City- a fake city in the desert being created by war contractors. Both are equally confusing and wonderful in the way that mysteries or suspense or good fiction are supposed to be. The characters are weird and wonderful. Just read this book(s).

0 comments: