Sunday, January 24, 2016

Ari Berman: Give us the Ballot, Michael D'Antonio: Mortal Sins

Shop Indie Bookstores

Ari Berman has written a cheerful book about one of the most depressing topics in the last 100 years: the way voting rights have been steadily and intentionally eroded. I say cheerful because there's very little in the tone of the book that since reconstruction and the Voting Rights Act, white politicians have been steadily working to "Change the rules of the game to protect their own power." It's been a minute since I finished this book, so I can't review it thoroughly. I didn't really enjoy it, but I would say that it's an important book and probably worth reading.


Shop Indie Bookstores

Michael d'Antonio's Mortal Sins is very readable and not quite as depressing as it could be, considering it's an overview of the abusive priests in the Catholic Church in the last 40-odd years. I think the saving grace is, instead of focusing on the victims (not to say that this isn't important), d'Antonio is looking at the bigger picture of who knew what, when, and who was digging for the truth. It's awful- they knew, forever.




Shop Indie Bookstores

It always makes me sad when I can't read a book that I really wanted to read. The Dreadful Deceit was one of these books. I literally fell asleep after each page that I read. Not even worth writing more.

0 comments: